A blog provides you with an easy to use platform where you are able to promote your business and make money. creating a blog site also provides an easier way to share your ideas and expertise with outside world. Few years back, starting blogs required immense coding skills; however, in 2017 is easier than ever.
Here, we shall take you through easy step by step guidelines that will enable you to create a blog within couple of minutes.
Step 1: Choose platform for your blog
Many people opt to use WordPress. Majority of websites use this platform as its good for starters who are creating their first website. This platform has considerable scalability and works pretty well with low and medium traffic websites. Other two options that lag behind Word Press are Joomla and Drupal. WordPress is easy to install and has strong community. What this means is that it’s free and used by a lot of people. It’s also ideal for anyone who is not technologically advanced – you will have access to plug-ins that are fairly straightforward and intuitive to use.
– Its free – you will only need domain name and web host
– Its support forum is very helpful
– It offers 45k+ free plugins to help your account run more efficiently
– There are 5k+ free and paid WordPress themes available
Step 2: Register Domain name
Before you download WordPress, we would recommend that you first choose domain name.
Why is domain name important?
– It affects your ranking in search engines
– It defines your brand
– It’s first impression your site visitors will face
How can I choose suitable domain name?
Perhaps you have given it thought and already have a name picked and ready. However, for those having difficulties starting, you should:
Choose domain name that is unique and stands out from your competitors. Choose something that is witty and memorable.
Keep name short. According research, top 100 websites have approximately 6 characters in their domain name.
Choose something that is easy to pronounce and type. Having domain name that comprises of too many vowels will lead to mistypes. Choose something that different people will be able to pronounce with no difficulties.
Simply put; choose name that is short, brand-able, memorable, catchy, easy to type, includes keywords, and is niche specific
Step 3: Sign up with Web Hosting Provider and Install WordPress
Web hosting is a platform that stores all your files, images, and content that your blog will contain and displays to visitors. Simply put; its service that keeps your blog content accessible to anyone.
There are many web hosting services available – some cheap, others costlier. Select hosting service that is reliable, secure, and easy to manage. Some two great hosting companies include Bluehost and Godaddy
How can I set up my blog on Bluehost?
- Sign up with Bluehost
- Choose best hosting page. We would recommend that you use starter package as it offers plenty of speed, storage, performance, and functionality to your first website. You can always upgrade your hosting plan as your site grows.
- Next, choose domain name. Remember to double check your name to avoid any typos
- Enter your personal information and credit card details and finally complete payment
- Go back to administration panel and look for button which says “Install WordPress”
- Click and proceed with installation
- Now, select whether you want your webpage with or without “www” at beginning of your web name. i.e. do you prefer www.YourWebsite.com or YourWebsite.com
- Now tick all necessary conditions under license agreement and click install
- Once installation is complete, you will see button that says “Your install is complete” and another saying “View Credentials”
- Click on View Credentials to get your login credentials.
That’s it! Now you can log in to your webpage by clicking link that says YourWebsiteName.com/wp-admin.
Now that you have installed your WordPress page and jotted down your admin access username and password.
Go to YourWebsiteName.com/wp-admin. And type in username and password
From the settings, you will be able to customize your site’s appearances.
Setting up your own blog is very simple and straightforward. Once you follow provided instructions, you are likely to take less than 30 minutes. However, for those who have not yet decided on domain name and your blog’s theme, it’ll take longer.
So just how much time does blogging take? Well, depending you’re your writing skills, creating quality content that your potential readers will want to read can take approximately 48 to 72 hours. It’ll depend on what you want to write – do you prefer to write longer or shorter articles? Are you planning on including images? Such questions will determine how long you will spend blogging. Overall, it’s up to you to figure out how much content, type of content, and how seriously you want to pursue this.
Does Blogging cost any money ?
Great thing about this type of marketing is that you can opt to create free blog or choose one that has a few charges. So how do you decide? As mentioned earlier, it’ll depend on how serious you want your blog to be. Free blogs are available but they come with limitations. We would recommend that you pay for couple of things such as:
Domain name: This will cost you approximately $10/year.
Web hosting: This usually costs approximately $4 – $15/ month or even more.
You will need to cough up a few bucks to acquire domain name and web hosting to get more traffic and better SEO.
Will blogging make me money ?
Yes. There are some successful bloggers that make more than $50,000 / month. Blogging provides you endless ways of earning money. Some people use these platforms to sell items, review products, etc. However, you can also set up your own blog for just as a hobby.